Skip to main content

Marriage Licenses and Celebrants

Go Search

Welcome > Marriage Licenses and Celebrants

 Who May Marry in Virginia

The minimum age for marriage in Virginia is 18 years old, unless a minor has been emancipated by court order.

 Obtaining a Marriage License

Marriage licenses are issued from 8:30 a.m. to 4:15 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Licenses are issued regardless of the applicants' residence as long as the marriage will take place in Virginia.

Both parties must be present and must present a photo I.D.

The marriage license fee is $30.00.  Payment must be cash or credit card.   Debit cards are not accepted for the payment of such fees.

Blood tests are not required.

The marriage license is valid for 60 days. If the marriage does not take place within 60 days from the date the license was issued, a new license must be issued and additional fees must be tendered. There is no provision for a refund.

If either party is divorced, the date of the final divorce decree is required. Applicants must furnish first, middle and last names of parents, including maiden name of mother.

You may purchase a certified copy of the marriage license for a fee of $2.50.

We do not conduct wedding ceremonies, but do have a list of civil celebrants if requested.

 After the Wedding

The marriage celebrant returns the executed marriage license to the Clerk's Office for permanent retention.

 Changing Names After Marriage

Contact the Social Security Administration and DMV in order to obtain information regarding requirements for changing names.  

 Obtaining a Copy of a Marriage License

Certified copies are $2.50 each and are available by written request or in the Clerk's Office during regular business hours. Payment may be made by cash, check or money order (payable to Edward F. Jewett, Clerk). Credit cards are also accepted for the payment of such fees, in person.

  • For marriage licenses issued between July 1, 1997 and June 30, 2001, Virginia law requires that the Clerk's Office obtain permission from one of the married parties before providing a copy to others.  Written requests for certified copies of a marriage license should include the following: names of the parties who were married, date of marriage, and a check or money order for $2.50 made payable to Edward F. Jewett, Clerk.

  • For copies of licenses issued prior to July 1, 1997 or after June 30, 2001, permission is not required of the married parties. Written requests for certified copies should include the following: names of the parties who were married, date of marriage, and a check or money order for $2.50 made payable to Edward F. Jewett, Clerk. 

 Minister Authorization to Perform Marriages

The Clerk's Office may authorize certain ministers to perform marriage ceremonies, provided that the minister meets the requirements of ยง 20-23 of the Code of Virginia, 1950, as amended.  Out-of-state ministers may be authorized for a one-time ceremony, provided the ceremony will take place in Virgnia. 

Before visiting the Clerk's Office to request authorization, please contact the office by phone at 804-646-6506 to confirm the process to follow.


 Forms and Links